Great location and value make White Sands Village a unique choice
By Roger Drouin
In 2003, Carolyn Varilek and her husband Ron decided to move down to White Sands Village, where they had owned a unit for several years.
The couple owned an RV and property on Hilton Head, South Carolina and ended up selling the property. “It was too cold for us,” Varilek recalled about that winter. “It got down to 18 [degrees], and I remember I said to my husband ‘This is it! We are going to move down to Siesta Key and live there.’”
Now Varilek doesn’t plan to leave White Sand Village — a community of one and two-bedroom condo units set amid seven acres of lush landscaping and a short stroll to the beach — any time soon. “I’m going out here with a toe tag,” she jokes. “I am never leaving. I love it here.”
The community’s location at Midnight Pass and Beach Roads across from the newly renovated public beach is the top asset at White Sands Village, says Varilek who walks the beach five times a week in the mornings.
In addition, recent sale and listing prices make it one of “the best values on Siesta Key” within waking distance of the beach, notes realtor Bob Ruiz, of Key Solutions Real Estate.
“It's proximity to the world renowned Siesta Beach and the fact that it is mid-Key and readily accessible to both Siesta Village, mid-Key Village and both bridges make it highly unique among Siesta Key communities,” Ruiz added.
Recent sales have ranged from $211,750 for a one bedroom, one bath, with 797 square feet to a higher-end sales price of $305,000 for a two bedroom, two bath unit with 1,012 square feet (see below).
There are ten, two-story buildings on the property. The condos were built in 1975.
“As is the case in most all properties on Siesta Key built in the 70s, some units have been beautifully renovated and updated, while others retain their original décor,” Ruiz notes. “Most new buyers undertake some renovation, but the extent just depends upon the owner.”
White Sands Village is a very active and close-knit community, with a full social calendar. “Something is going on here all the time,” Varilek said. She added that residents are friendly and willing to help their neighbors, and recalled how one neighbor had offered and fixed her screen door that was not shutting correctly.
There are many permanent and seasonal residents, but also renters who return year after year and become integral to the community. The fact that this is one of the only communities on the Key that permit renters to have small dogs, speaks volumes about the friendliness and affability of White Sands, Ruiz said.
The community has a two-week rental minimum. But many renters stay for longer, Varilek said. “Once they come here, during their next visit, they will stay for a month or two,” Varilek said. “A lot of renters come back every year.”
The clubhouse at White Sands Village Condominium, adjacent to the swimming pool and office, is the hub of activity. The community’s pool is heated year-round to a warm 86º, so residents and renters can enjoy a swim even during the cooler months. There is also a ‘his and hers’ sauna, and lending book library. A new gas grill, located next to the pool and covered picnic tables, are available.
Recent sales and listings:
Two units were listed for sale, as of press time, for $350,000 or $346 a square foot.
• One of the units, a two bedroom, two bath unit with 1,012 square feet, was a recently-new listing. The unit is completely remodeled and turnkey furnished. The unit has diagonal-tile floors in the living areas and baths, and laminate in the bedrooms. The lanai was converted to a glass enclosed area, opening into the living room.
• The other unit is the same size, and remodeled as well. The unit features an updated kitchen with granite counters, opened-up to the living area, and a washer and dryer installed. The bathrooms have all new tiles and stone floors with new showers, vanities, sinks and faucets, according to the MLS listing. The unit is located on the second floor. “The $60K+ renovation has made this a popular rental, grossing over $40K in bookings, including future bookings that will transfer to the buyer,” according to the MLS listing.
Recent sales at White Sands have ranged from $211,750 for a one bedroom, one bath, 797-square foot unit to a higher end sales price of $305,000 for a two bedroom, two bath unit with 1,012 square feet.
• The one bedroom unit that sold for $211,750, was in need of a remodel, but it featured a garden view on the first floor. The sale came out to $266 a square foot.
• While the two-bedroom, two-bath units, advertised as a quiet, first floor unit, sold for $305,000, or $301 a square foot. The unit came furnished.
• A two bedroom unit also sold for $287,000, or $284 a square foot. The unit was move in ready, with recently-installed living room flooring and an open layout.