Perfect Location and Well-Kept, at Peppertree
By Roger Drouin
With a beautiful Beach-to-Bay location, two pools, fishing pier, deeded beach access, tennis courts, clubhouse overlooking the beach, and other amenities, Peppertree Bay is one the Key’s best-loved complexes.
The community has 362 two and three bedroom units. It features a variety of floor plans, including garden villas, town homes, and high-rise (six floor) buildings. Condos are spread throughout 16 acres of lushly landscaped grounds, and the complex provides both private access to the soft powdery beaches of Crescent Beach and Siesta Key and boating on the Intracoastal Waterway.
“Peppertree property is really well kept,” says Dennis Oralls, who purchased and completely renovated a Gulfside tower unit with his wife in March, 2017. “They really stay on top of everything. Most communities on the Key do, but it really stood out to us how well they care for the property [at Peppertree].”
The central mid-Key location, on Crescent Beach, as well as the more-uncommon garage parking cinched the deal for the Orallses.
“Peppertree is one of the more sought after communities on Siesta Key,” Realtor Bob Ruiz, of Key Solutions Real Estate tells Siesta Sand. “It has tremendous amenities, is very well maintained, offers a successful rental policy for those who wish to offer their units to renters, and on-site management.”
Its location affords easy access to either the north or south bridge onto the island — as well as proximity to restaurants, shopping, and activities, says Ruiz, who has an upgraded, two-bedroom unit in one of the high-rise buildings listed for sale.
Prices are on the rise, in Peppertree, as is the case across the Key, and the unit price-per-square foot for recent sales and listings fluctuates based upon location in the complex, view, and the level of unit renovation. About half or more of the units have been renovated. Many of the upgrades are extensive and have exceeded $150,000, Ruiz tells Siesta Sand.
Peppertree Bay has onsite management, and they do an excellent job, Ruiz says. “The HOA itself completes several projects per year for beautification in the community,” Ruiz says. “Most recently they converted all the asphalt to pavers and had the garage floor redone under the building.”
The community has a one-month rental minimum.
“With the community being right on Crescent beach and a pool and fitness center beachside it’s a haven for rental tenants,” Ruiz says. “They make excellent investment properties but are not overly transient so personal use is enjoyed as well.”
The Orallses renovation of the two-bedroom, two bath tower unit was expansive. They opened the kitchen and ceiling completely up, so there is a bright and open feel to the unit now. They also enclosed the lanai, so that adds to the overall square footage.
The previous owners and their family might have been the original owners of the unit that was built in 1974, Dennis Oralls believes. “We literally stripped down to the skeleton, raised the ceilings and changed layout and make it a much more efficient space.
“There is an openness” to the unit now, he adds.
The Oralls stay at Peppertree as often as they can now, and they do rent out the unit. But they plan to spend more time on Siesta in the coming years. Carol Oralls has already retired, and the couple, based in Upstate New York plans to spend Christmas through April at Peppertree once Dennis retires.
“We wanted to pick a place where we would be comfortable staying for an extended stay,” he tells Siesta Sand. “We had a longer-term vision for us to be there seasonally.”
- Bob and Sheri Ruiz, relators with Key Solutions Real Estate, have a two bedroom, two bath unit listed for $449,000. At 1,456 square-feet, the listing comes out to $309 a square foot. The first-floor unit is on the Gulf Side of the complex and just steps to the beach. This larger unit has been “beautifully renovated,” with some of the upgrades including new tile flooring in the foyer, living, dining and kitchen areas. According to the MLS listing, the large lanai with new hurricane rated windows lets in an abundance of light and provides space for office/dining/relaxation. Bathrooms have also been updated with new vanities. A large in-unit laundry room and ample closets add great storage space. The HVAC system has been recently replaced. Underbuilding parking is convenient to the secure elevators. “It is larger as are most of the units in the high rise buildings,” says Ruiz. “This particular unit is the split floor plan model with ensuite bedrooms on either side of the unit. The unit fronts Midnight Pass and overlooks beautiful green space. It’s a short walk to the beach and very close to the garden pool.”
- Another unit was pending (as of press time) with a listing price of $649,000. This unit has two bedrooms, and two baths, at 1,115 square-feet. According to the MLS listing. At this price point, the listing works out to $582 a square foot. The “truly one-of-a-kind custom-finished waterfront condo offering full expansive views of Roberts Bay on Siesta Key. “The unit has a “coastal inspired, open, and spacious design” and has been remodeled with high quality finishes. The kitchen features custom-made solid wood cabinetry with soft close doors and drawers, granite counter tops, reverse osmosis water filtering system, and stainless steel appliances. Throughout the residence, high quality touches are abundant, low E insulated impact sliding glass doors and windows, porcelain wood-look tile flooring throughout, decorative wainscoting panels, and a custom-built entertainment center featuring a fireplace. This residence also was recently updated with a new roof in 2018, new dishwasher, washer, and dryer.
- A two-bedroom, second floor, light and bright condo unit sold for $489,000, or $452 a square foot, in July, 2018. The unit has 1,083 square feet and two baths. According to the MLS listing, the renovated, turn-key unit featured elegant finishes throughout. The renovated kitchen includes: high end cabinets; a paneled, counter depth refrigerator; accent lighting; and a contrasting dark granite. Owner’s ensuite and second full bath have floor-to-ceiling porcelain tile. During renovation, the lanai was enclosed “to expand the living space, but is still a source of natural light and peaceful views of the pond and gorgeous banyan trees and plush landscaping.”
- A few months previous, in April, 2018, another two bedroom, first-floor unit sold for $435,000. The renovated unit also has an enclosed lanai. Recently renovated in 2016, the unit includes new kitchen and appliances, washer/dryer, bathrooms, flooring, paint and more.
- A rarely-available top second floor unit sold for $570,000 in August, 2018. The two-bedroom unit has 1,180 square feet and a direct view of the Intracoastal Waterway and Roberts Bay. This sale came out to $504 a square foot.
Open floor plan features a large living room and dining room, tile throughout except for the 2 bedrooms, new ceiling fans, new air-conditioning unit (2016,) new roof in 2018, custom blinds, washer/dryer, private garage and more. The screened porch has new panel windows and new hurricane slider doors.